Medical Care for Shipmasters
Information about the course
A six day internationally recognised and Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA) approved course is offered in conjunction with Challenger Institute (TAFE) and Fremantle Hospital Emergency Department.
The purpose of this course is to provide competency based training in emergency first aid and medical response in the shipboard environment.
On successful completion, participants will be able to take charge of a medical emergency on board a ship, seek assistance from shore-based medical advisers and carry out medical procedures as directed from shore-based medical advisers.
This course is also availabe as a one day revalidation course.
What is covered in this course?
The content covered during this one week intensive course is:
- Anatomy & Physiology
- Resuscitation techniques
- Patient assessment
- Management of medical emergencies
- Management of injuries
- Industrial related medical conditions
- Prevention of disease in seafarers
- Management of central nervous system and cardiovascular disorders
- Management of infectious diseases
- Surgical emergencies
- Management of sexually transmitted diseases
- Care of dying or dead on board ship
- Management of alcohol or drug abuse patients
- Radio medical advice
- Quarantine procedures
- Poisons and Toxic Hazards
- Shipboard hygiene and health education
- Marine medical publications
- Role of Ships Medical Officer
- Suturing techniques
- Intramuscular injection techniques
Where is the course held?
Royal Flying Doctor Service Western Operations
3 Eagle Drive
How long is the course?
Six days plus an evening practical session at the Fremantle Hospital Emergency Department
Who should enrol in this course?
Any person requiring an AMSA approved Medical Care on Board Ship Certificate or persons interested in acquiring the knowledge and skills to manage a medical emergency in a remote location.
How do I register?
Further information is available from the Course Coordinator Debbie Taylor at the RFDS Jandakot Airport, (08) 9417 6314. However bookings for places are made through Challenger Institute (TAFE) in Fremantle. Fill in our online form to register your interest in attending the course.
Telephone: 08 9417 6300
RFDS Western Operations
3 Eagle Drive
Jandakot WA 6164
Course Dates 2012
|Wednesday 15th February 2012
|14th, 15th, 16th, 17th 18th and 21st May 2012
3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th and 10th September 2012